Look for Mac OS X tips & shortcuts I learnt through hours of experimentation. My goal is to help you get the job done without having to go through the 'Googling' process.

Wednesday, July 07, 2004

ssh from X11

I spent hours trying to login to my remote unix server, from my X11 terminal (Ibook G4). I piously followed the online tips to use xhost & set up the DISPLAY parameters all in vain. Finally I took time to read the ssh manual page where I found out that ssh takes care of this itself. Infact, we should NOT set up any display parameters.

Here is the tip.

Goal: Connect from my X11 terminal (bash) to a remote (tcsh) terminal such that I could run remote GUI apps on my display.

Steps:

1. ssh -X username@remoteserver
2. >>login
3. start using the remote terminal & your GUI apps will automatically be displayed on your display.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home